Monday, April 9, 2012

I’m beginning to lose faith in this internet thing

I don’t think the internet is keeping up with the times.  This evening I searched for restaurants in my suburban town of 21,000 residents.  I tried Yahoo, Yellow Pages and several restaurant-based search engines.  Every one led me to essentially the same database - one that still listed a restaurant that closed one year ago and another that must have closed 3 or 4 years ago.  And yet the restaurant that opened last year here in town was nowhere to be found.  Big help, technology.  Among the restaurant choices this database did give me was my local Mobil gas station.  Mmmmm, fine cuisine and romantic atmosphere.

But take heart. The GSP linkage to these fine databases told me to click here for “15,857 more local results.”  I didn’t have the faith to obey the internet genie and click on the link.  I just don’t think that in a town of 21,000 residents, that I’ll find we have 15,857 restaurants.  Now, maybe if you also include those gas stations…    

5 comments:

Gringo said...

Among the restaurant choices this database did give me was my local Mobil gas station. Mmmmm, fine cuisine and romantic atmosphere.

Like they say, you'll get a good meal if you go where the truckers go.

Sponge-headed ScienceMan said...

Gringo - I agree with you about truck stops. Unfortunately this is just your average upscale yuppie Mobil station - but not so upscale that you'd confuse it with fine dinning.

Gringo said...

Unfortunately this is just your average upscale yuppie Mobil station - but not so upscale that you'd confuse it with fine dinning.

I had assumed that it was. I was trying to make a joke of sorts. My sense of humor is rather dehydrated.
Come to think of it, gasoline is rather dehydrated. Does that mean I also have an incendiary sense of humor?

Sponge-headed ScienceMan said...

Here in Yankeeland we appreciate dry humor. So keep it coming.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I think there are only two gas stations in your town. The overpriced Mobil and the one on the DW Hwy. So only 15,855 more to find.

I find the wine selection at that Mobil to be a bit weak, but their presentation on the Doritos is exemplary.